Playing the percentage on lotto wheel

Talk about anything Lotto Architect related which doesn't fit in the other forums
gary777
Casual
Casual

Playing the percentage on lotto wheel

Post by gary777 » Mon May 16, 2016 1:44 am

Hi new to this forum. I like to play 5if6 wheels but getting tired of writing out so many tickets. Is it worth generating my own wheel but playing a 5if6
wheel say at 75 percent thanks.

lottoarchitect
Site Admin

Re: Playing the percentage on lotto wheel

Post by lottoarchitect » Mon May 16, 2016 6:17 am

Hi gary, consider a set v of picked numbers and you want to play y tickets with those numbers. You have two options here:
a) Pick randomly numbers from your v set to produce your tickets till you reach y tickets in total.
b) Construct a wheel with some guarantee, even as percentage, to produce y tickets in total .

By definition, constructing a wheel to a specific guarantee will always provide better exposure to a win division prize, therefore b) will always be superior to any attempt of a). Under that consideration, a percentage wheel (also known as open-cover) is always better. Put it in simple terms, building a wheel always provide a better "layout" for your y tickets compared to any other approach.

gary777
Casual
Casual

Post by gary777 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:34 pm

Thankyou for the reply never built a wheel before. Whats the best way to get started thanks.

gary777
Casual
Casual

Post by gary777 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:07 pm

forgot to ask before I saw a thread with install instruction of v2.2 could you point me in that direction thanks

gary777
Casual
Casual

Post by gary777 » Tue May 17, 2016 4:59 am

One more thing I would like to ask is I have been doing 5if6 with 20 numbers on a Abbreviated wheel its 844 blocks I think. i would like to keep useing the same numbers but
at 75% if possiable I no the 100% has gone but will that decrease the amount of blocks i will need to use thanks.

lottoarchitect
Site Admin

Post by lottoarchitect » Tue May 17, 2016 6:24 am

For Lotto Architect (LA), just download the program and install it! No special install instructions are needed. Perhaps there might be the need to set LA in compatibility mode for Windows XP (right-click the icon and click properties to find this) if you run in more recent operating systems. Apart from that, it is a typical installation like any other program.
In order to build open-cover versions of a wheel i.e. to 75%, you need a dedicated wheeling program like Wheel Generator (WG). If you simply try to remove blocks from the initial close-cover wheel (the initial 844 tickets), you'll end up removing much fewer blocks than actually possible. I advice you to download WG and play with it to get an understanding of how wheels are build. To build a wheel in WG at a specified %, set the L% parameter to your desired value, enable auto-remove blocks (also set v,k,t,m as needed) and click optimize. I usually recommend to import an existing wheel for this task (i.e. import the 5if6 844 block wheel) and let WG work on that to speed things up. Building wheels can dive in great detail, so take your time, understand the basic concept by reading the manual or posts here or other sources and then gradually you can move to more advanced concepts like filtered coverings.
Any open-cover wheel will always require fewer blocks than the relevant close-cover (at 100%) wheel and the whole point of open-cover is really to reduce the cost of play by introducing an acceptable chance to miss a prize. So, we really need to have the maximum reduction of tickets that still deliver the desired % coverage.
Typically, coverage beyond 90% will require the most blocks, so for example (random numbers here) the 5if6@90% cover may need let's say 400-500 blocks and the rest 10% will need another 344 or so blocks to make it a 100% cover. There is really plenty of tickets saving just by removing this 10% of coverage. The sad thing is, we now have 10% chance to have eliminated the most rewarding ticket :)

gary777
Casual
Casual

Post by gary777 » Tue May 17, 2016 8:42 pm

Thankyou for that reply I will try that thanks

gary777
Casual
Casual

Post by gary777 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:12 am

been playing around with WG for a week now just wondering 2 things 1. base coverage if i change it from 1 to say will it give
me 3 blocks instead of 1 block if i get it to 100% cover.
2. i dont understand how values work I cant bring down the help file.Could you explain it thanks.

lottoarchitect
Site Admin

Post by lottoarchitect » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:56 am

Hi gary, I assume you refer to the L parameter. Here is some explanation of this to fully understand this parameter and the L%. L is a multiplier of t, L% allows open-cover versions (less than 100% coverage) to the desired L setting.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=125
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=35

As a side note, changing L or L% will adjust the th. min indicated.

gary777
Casual
Casual

Post by gary777 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:45 pm

Thanks for that info, Just one more thing I let it run for about 3 hours letting build the percentage up. I noticed there was 3 blocks of everything i mean eg like 1-3-12-16-27-30 3 times when i checked it I
had [L] base coverage set at 3 and 28,6,4,6 and additional coverage set [t]4 [m]5. Sorry I didnt save it for you to look at.