From Wheel Generating to Actual Playable Wheels

Talk about anything Wheel Generator related which doesn't fit in the other forums
jrichardson83
Getting used to it
Getting used to it

From Wheel Generating to Actual Playable Wheels

Post by jrichardson83 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:30 pm

So I have a really simple question, where in the WG software do I go to actually select a wheel to play? I play a 5/36 game and I run 1247 block size. I'm at a complete lost on how to simply generate a playable Wheel. Am I supposed to sift through 1247 coverings? Surely not. The software is so complex to use and the help file is rather technically dense. I purchased a copy of Iliya Bluskov's "Combinatorial Systems" recently and though it to contains a lot of higher level mathematics, its very readable and more importantly usable. I've managed to get a hang of G.A.T., but WG is a different story. Again, my problem is simply taking my numbers and generating an If-then-This wheel (for example, a 3-win if 5 of the numbers are drawn out of 19...a system I used today from Bluskov's book).

Thanks for your help.

lottoarchitect
Site Admin

Re: From Wheel Generating to Actual Playable Wheels

Post by lottoarchitect » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:28 am

Not surewhy you consider WG complex to get a simple covering. From what you say, I gather you have confusedtheterms/parametersneeded to set. So, you say:
but WG is a different story. Again, my problem is simply taking my numbers and generating an If-then-This wheel (for example, a 3-win if 5 of the numbers are drawn out of 19...a system I used today from Bluskov's book).
So, 3-win if 5 of the numbers are drawn out of 19 translates as t=3, m=5,v=19 and the other parameter k set to the block size (5 numbers is a single entry in your game I suppose)? You are almost done here, you set the required b parameter which means, how many blocks will be the covering, which is the exact same thing as in the book, how many total lines have to be played to form the complete wheel. Once you have set those 4 parameters (v,k,t,m) and how many blocks to construct that covering (parameter b) you can click "optimize" and wait for the wheel to be generated. What you'll get as output (when you view the best covering or click save from the menu) is a wheel similar to those found in Bluskov's book. Whatever you do to use the Bluskov wheels, you do it with that wheel displayed.
WG can assist even in directly constructing the actual wheel to play (instead of pointer numbers like Bluskov's wheels, the numbers 1-v). After you have set the 4 main parameters (v,k,t,m) go to the "my numbers" panel and place there your own selected numbers (v in total). The rest is as above, except now the displayed best covering (or the saved outcome) is the actual blocks to play. I really don't see how setting 4 parameters and b is so complex to get a wheel for real play. The rest of the program is for much more advanced wheels constructions but the essential parameters here are v,k,t,m,b. Once you grasp and manage these, you can explore a wealth of advanced constructions.

jrichardson83
Getting used to it
Getting used to it

Re: From Wheel Generating to Actual Playable Wheels

Post by jrichardson83 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:22 am

I gather you have confusedtheterms/parametersneeded to set
You are correct. As a novice to this type of lottery system, I am somewhat in the dark when it comes to certain terminology. However, I am a fairly intelligent chap and at certain places in the WG Help file certain ideas are not clearly defined, that is to say, they aren't in the "lay man's" terms.

However, thank you for that clarification. I was under the impression that the block size needed to be set to the maximum covering, that is why in a previous question I posted several weeks ago I inquired about the 1247 block size for my particular covering.

I understand it now, though. Thank you