Development - Wheel Generator 1.8

Any latest news will be posted here...
lottoarchitect
Site Admin

Development - Wheel Generator 1.8

Post by lottoarchitect » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:30 am

Wheel Generator 1.8 development has started. As usual, feel free to make your suggestions on how to improve further this amazing program.

Previous WG versions have a 'weakness' when building very big coverings such as 49,6,3if6, which by default disables the speedup mechanism in order to be able and deal with it(requires a tremendous amount of memory to be operational). The effect of course is the engine to run at a quite slower speed compared to what it is capable of when the speedup is active. WG 1.8 introduces a special speedup operation specifically designed for those coverings that disable the speedup. The tests so far has shown a significant speed improvement even on those large coverings. This special speedup benefits any covering that doesn't utilize 100% the speedup (the utilization ratio can be seen at the coverages tab info in WG 1.7).
More improvements are on the way too but if you have anything to suggest, please be my guest.

cheers
lottoarchitect

lottoarchitect
Site Admin

Re: Development - Wheel Generator 1.8

Post by lottoarchitect » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:21 pm

Well, I have some good news to announce here. The prerelease build of WG1.8 has managed a speedup improvement of a minimum 30% compared to the speedup of WG1.7. That of course means even better coverings produced quicker compared to WG1.7. However this is still a prerelease of WG1.8, which still have several additions to be made, so I start thinking of making prerelease versions available to licensed users (downloadable via the account management) so to benefit right away of such enhancements instead of having to wait till the official release is made available. The drawback of doing this, is that there might be errors (bugs) introduced during the development of the prereleases which are of course not in the official release due to heavy testing performed. What do you think? Should I make available prereleases to the license users?

cheers
lottoarchitect

luisgmira
Regular
Regular

Post by luisgmira » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:53 pm

Hi lottoarchitect,
In my opinion it would be of great help having a prerelease of WG1.8 because we could have the new functions and improved speed and, at the same time, we could test it and report any possible bug if encountered, a symbiotic process that benefits both parts, developer and users.

I´m eager to see WG1.8, so I expect you decide to release this previous version as soon as posible.

¿Should we report any bug in this thread or in a new one?

Thanks for your offer.
Luis Gomez Mira

Skirrow
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Skirrow » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:21 pm

Hi LA ;
Yes , I agree .............. the pre-release would be most welcome

Maryland
Regular
Regular

Post by Maryland » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:38 pm

Sounds good to me. Can we use both versions until final release?

relowe
Advanced
Advanced

Post by relowe » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:18 am

Sounds good to me too.

But for new features will the early release be supported with any Help notes?

lottoarchitect
Site Admin

Post by lottoarchitect » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:20 pm

Well, the prerelease will have only the executable file; it is not a complete setup. Relowe, the help file will be updated at the finalization of the changes of all the prereleases so, any help on the new features will be provided from here. Luisgmira, of course you can post any comments, bugs etc in this thread as well.
Maryland, you can use both versions. I'll probably make the 1st prerelease available on this Saturday. I'll let you know in due time.

cheers
lottoarchitect

lottoarchitect
Site Admin

Post by lottoarchitect » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:20 pm

Hello all,

the 1st pre-release of WG 1.8 is available at the download area of the licensed users along with instructions. The main improvement of this pre-release is the computation speed which is a minimum 30-50% compared to 1.7 and can be even more depending on the wheel constructed. You'll see a new option at the "optimization" panel, named "enable special covering speedup". I recommend having this enabled at all times which offers a further speed improvement, especially for bigger coverings. Have fun and let me know of anything you may notice or for suggestions. Bugs might be still present in this pre-release, so if you encounter any, please let me know.

cheers
lottoarchitect

luisgmira
Regular
Regular

Post by luisgmira » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:47 pm

Hi LA,

I´m testing WG1.8 and I find it faster than 1.7 indeed.

I have a suggestion to improve its use: May be a good idea to have a loging of the generation progress, a file where WG maintain log records with date, time, and progress info like optimization method, improvements, coverage reached, etc.
One record for each improvement and, of course a display log function.
It may help to see if the process is hanged (no improvements for a long period) or if it is running as expected.

Hope this may help.

lottoarchitect
Site Admin

Post by lottoarchitect » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:21 am

Please get a new prerelease from thew login area. The one made available was an older one with errors in the speedup mechanism. The correct prerelease should display the image at the about box as ver. 1.8.
Luisgmira, your suggestion looks interesting. Perhaps could you describe how do you imagine this log should be displayed per line for the various development modes?

cheers
lottoarchitect