GAT And CPU Benchmarks

G.A.T. Engine general discussion
Paperino
Advanced
Advanced

GAT And CPU Benchmarks

Post by Paperino » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:43 pm

This has been asked before, but my question is a little different.

Since I need my laptop for work and don't feel comfortable running an already overheating machine at night without oversight, I occasionally think of buying a super cheap (50$) tablet with Intel Atom processor. It architecture and RAM is obviously more modern than that of old desktops.

As one could expect, it's performance is not on par with today's i5/7 or even mobile CPUs.

My trusted daily driver gets a 3000 Single Core score from Geekbench, Intel Atom Z8350 delivers around 1000.

Now, is this applicable to scanning for GATs? Geekbench scores consist of various tests, most do not have much to do with real life usage.

Actually, I would be OK with about 1/3 of regular performance, since I feel much more at ease running a tablet 24/7 than anything else.

lottoarchitect
Site Admin

Re: GAT And CPU Benchmarks

Post by lottoarchitect » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:21 pm

Both GAT and WG benefit mainly from a faster CPU. They can run on any system i386 and upwards. If your current laptop is not single core, I don't think you'll have an issue running it overnight as the most it would use is 50% of the overall CPU power thus overheating wouldn't be a problem I suppose. Why don't get a CPU monitor program and check if the temperatures go skyrocketed or not?

Paperino
Advanced
Advanced

Re: GAT And CPU Benchmarks

Post by Paperino » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Yeah, I have a Fan Control app, the computer is known to get hot due to aluminium parts, but running it overnight won‘t kill it. I‘ll just use slightly more aggressive cooling setting.