Interruption to Service

G.A.T. Engine general discussion
kweg7
Casual
Casual

Interruption to Service

Post by kweg7 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:41 am

Hi Anastasios - recently my GAT and WG programs both stopped working. They would open in DEMO mode and when I tied to get onto the Forum, or send you an email,I could not and got a message about "bandwidth exceeded". I kept trying to run the programs and a few days ago they opened in full mode. However I could not get into the Forum - again getting a "bandwidth exceeded" message. Obviously now this later problem has been fixed. I see there are no posts on the Forum about this so I am wondering if the problem was something wrong at my end.I would be grateful for any comments. Thank you.

lottoarchitect
Site Admin

Re: Interruption to Service

Post by lottoarchitect » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:03 am

This was an issue with the server. Unfortunately, a bot named "nbot" originating from Amazon was very aggressive on accessing and indexing my website which resulted in consuming my whole bandwidth. I do not say that Amazon is responsible for that but the framework was designed by Amazon and someone designed a bot that uses that framework. It could be a malicious bot which aims just to consume the bandwidth of websites as an alternative means of taking a website down. I really can't tell what was the reason, but this bot did consume about 1GB of traffic daily which is absurd to say at least.

Eventually this resulted in consumption of the whole available monthly bandwidth which resulted in this message "bandwidth" exceeded". This means no other requests will be fulfilled by the server until the next month comes by, which resets the bandwidth consumption counter to 0. Unfortunately I never got informed about approaching the limit of my available bandwidth so to check out the situation and take preventative measures against that bot in due time. Now I have made any necessary adjustments and monitor the situation regularly so to make sure nothing like that will happen again. So, no there isn't anything wrong you did, this affected all the users and my apologies for any inconvenience caused by this. I did compensate all the users with an additional 1 month extension to their subscription as a consolation but i know this did cause some frustration overall.

kweg7
Casual
Casual

Re: Interruption to Service

Post by kweg7 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:11 pm

Hi Anastasios - Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply. Good to hear it was not a problem from my end.