excel 2003

G.A.T. Engine general discussion
Sooz
Proficient
Proficient

excel 2003

Post by Sooz » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:46 pm

My new much faster computer is still using Excel 2003 because I still had the original installation CD's.
This new computer is now running GAT and WG, but I often use my old computer for other stuff.
Recently, I discovered that there's a free "Compatibility Pack" from Microsoft that you can download. It's add-on for Microsoft Office 2003, so that the newer documents can be viewed on the older 2003 software. This worked for my old computer but I haven't yet installed the compatibility pack for my new computer.

How does this pertain to GAT, you ask? :-)
GAT has a history download function which didn't work with my 2003 Excel. I remember on our blog that this history download function worked for some users of Excel 2003 but not for others. It MIGHT work now. When I get around to installing the compatibility pack into my new computer, I'll let you know.
Sooz

lottoarchitect
Site Admin

Re: excel 2003

Post by lottoarchitect » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:58 am

My only contribution to this is, export to excel should work on any excel version from 2003 and later. GAT doesn't use any magic trick for excel, it uses the exported library via OLE automation of excel which is part of the excel installation. I really can't tell why this works on some computers and not on others; it should work everywhere. OLE wasn't supported on earlier versions however.

Sooz
Proficient
Proficient

Re: excel 2003

Post by Sooz » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:34 am

Sigh. I just tried it on new computer. R-clicked on the gat id, then selected "export GAT details to excel".
New computer gives same old error message:
Access violation at address 0040466C in module 'GAT.exe'. Read of address 5BF44587.
I haven't added the addon update to my excel 2003 though because from what you say, it shouldn't make any difference.
It's not so important anyway. Just one of those enigmas that we're learning to live, with in this era of communication through cyberspace. :-)
Sooz