Mega Millions / Power Ball - USA

G.A.T. Engine general discussion
NEMESIS
Regular
Regular

Mega Millions / Power Ball - USA

Post by NEMESIS » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:15 pm

HI,

IS THERE ANY REASON WHY MEGA MILLIONS AND POWER BALL (USA LOTTERIES) , CANNOT BE RUN IN GAT ENGINE AS SIX (6) BALL LOTTERIES ? BOTH LOTTERIES HAVE FIVE (5) MAIN BALLS AND ONE (1) BONUS BALL. I HAVE A LOTTERY SYSTEM (MY PERSONAL SYSTEM) THAT I USE A EXCEL SPREADSHEET AND A "PIVOT BALL" TO COME UP WITH THE WINNING DRAW NUMBERS. MY SYSTEM INDICATES THAT THE "BONUS BALL" IS INCLUDED THE MAKING OF THE WINNING DRAW NUMBERS FOR BOTH LOTTERIES.

lottoarchitect
Site Admin

Re: Mega Millions / Power Ball - USA

Post by lottoarchitect » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:17 am

Hi Nemesis, first I'd like to note that uppercase is like shouting loud, so please do not write in uppercase.
To your question, both games are supported by GAT Engine. Both are 2 field games and at the lottery setup, the second field must be set as powerball with its own properties. A bonus ball is a ball drawn from the same container as the main balls (thus it cannot be the same to the main numbers too). A powerball is a ball drawn from a completely different container, usually with much fewer numbers to draw from. Both USA Mega Millions / Power Ball are considered powerball games from GAT Engine's perspective. Megamillions is 5/75 + 1/15 game, Powerball is 5/69 + 1/26. To setup these in GAT Engine, you have to define the 2nd field as powerball (not bonus ball).
Including the powerball in the mix with the 5 main numbers is pointless for these games, they are completely different "entities". If the extra ball was drawn from the same container, then GAT allows adding the bonus ball in the mix (so to make it a 6 ball game automatically). Given the powerball is completely different, you shouldn't mix it!