Wheeling

Talk about anything related to lotteries... This is your place to chat!
Sooz
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Wheeling

Post by Sooz » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:05 am

Hi CLTB
Pardon me if I'm intruding, maybe I can help out. I just tried this on my own computer to make sure. You can certainly be running 2 WG's at the same time on your computer - not 2 sets of filters but 2 programs each with its own filters.

Same way if you open a word.doc, and then you want to open a 2nd word.doc, and each one is independent of the other.

So I clicked on the WG icon - got that going. Then I clicked on the icon again - a new WG opened and I entered completely different parameters, and got that one going at the same time as the first one.
Tip - when you open the 2nd, it will be superimposed on the first, so you'll have to move it over slightly so you can see both at the same time.

You could probably open as many as your computer has memory for. :-)

Sooz

CLTB
Regular
Regular

Post by CLTB » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:53 am

Hi Sooz

Boy do I feel dumb!!!

I tried it and it works perfectly. Even better than what I asked for as they are completely independent and I can three if I want!

Thanks for help on that.

Regards

lottoarchitect
Site Admin

Post by lottoarchitect » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:19 am

Hi CLTB and Sooz, you can run simultaneously instances of WG. Just let each WG fully open to the main window before attempting to run another instance, there is a chance to lock the license otherwise (this also applies to GAT) and I work on a way to protect against this. For small coverings this will work just fine since each application uses basically one core for now and consumes relatively little memory. If the computer memory is not sufficient, running multiple instances may slow down a lot the computer overall. Just keep that in mind if you see things go slowly.

CLTB
Regular
Regular

Post by CLTB » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:30 am

Thanks LA

Just to clarify - I can open two WG programmes and use them both independently using different fillters on each one without either WG interfering with the other or being "locked out" due to licence constraints? In my case I would only use two and on the very very odd occassion three.

I have 2GB memory so I don't think I will have a memory problem.

Frank

lottoarchitect
Site Admin

Post by lottoarchitect » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:52 am

You can run as many WGs as you want at the same time without conflicts. Just let each WG fully open to its main window before opening another WG to avoid license lock. I work on a code to protect from this type of false lock. The problem is that if for some reason the first instance delays to open (i.e. waiting for server response), if you run at that time another instance the information sent and returned by the server is damaged and this causes the license lock. If you let the first instance fully open, the part dealing with the license and the server communication is fully completed and you can run freely another WG instance. Also when closing down all those WG instances, the options will keep whatever settings used at the last closed instance.

CLTB
Regular
Regular

Post by CLTB » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:00 am

Thanks LA

Much appreciated - this has been a great help.

Frank