Australia online lotteries

Talk about anything related to lotteries... This is your place to chat!
Sooz
Proficient
Proficient

Australia online lotteries

Post by Sooz » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:41 am

I'm getting tired of filling out playslips by hand and going to the nearest lottery store so often. Noticed that Australian lotteries can be played online and the games are pretty good too in terms of odds and ticket prices. But which Australian sites are official?
So I looked at our members list. Most of us left blank the location we're from. I found only one member here from Australia. But then I realized that my own location was also blank! :lol: So I edited my own profile to include my location. I'm in Canada.
Does anyone here play Australian lotteries online? If so, which site do you recommend?
.....Sooz

draughtsman
Site Admin

Re: Australia online lotteries

Post by draughtsman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:35 am

Hi Sooz,

The Australian lotteries are sort of National and then there are some State based ones as well. Thus Saturday night lotto 6/45 and is National, as is Tuesday 7/45 and Thursday powerball, which is (and just changed about 2 weeks ago) 6/40 and 1/20. The prime vendor/commission is Tattersalls www dot tatts dot com. Both online buying and prize payment - not sure how you would go about buying in AUD$'s but am not aware of any restrictions on ticket purchase from outside the Country or prize payment to non locals. Ticket prices are at the website. Google Tattersalls and you should get something.

Sat lotto has a pool of about $4m for 1st Div and this is mostly split about 4 ways and rarely jackpots, Tuesday jackpots frequently and is $5m this Tuesday (today) - often gets to about $30m and Powerball this Thursday is $6m and often jackpots and frequently gets above $20m.

cheers

draughtsman

Sooz
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Sooz » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:13 am

Thank you Draughtsman for taking the trouble. I'll look into Tattersalls. Also came across this site http://www.ozlotteries.com. Their procedure is described like this - first open a personal account with them (necessary to send identification, etc), then deposit money into this account, then buy tickets with the money from the account. The site itself seems legitimate but procedure's a little strange to me. Have you heard of them?
Sooz

draughtsman
Site Admin

Post by draughtsman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:48 am

Sooz,

I haven't used Ozlotteries - they are I understand more of a third party offerer - they are not a Commission in that they do not operate or run any lotteries here but they are quite legitimate. Their account processes may however be easier to use than the Commission as they appear to be accessing a wider audience than locals and so have set it up to access foreign players. I would check with their ticket prices and compare to the parent lottery - I think they will be more expensive.

draughtsman

Sooz
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Sooz » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:10 am

OK - I did look further. You're right, Ozlotteries is more expensive. They call themselves an "accredited reseller". On the Tatts join-up page, there's a pull-down menu to enter your country of residence. Canada is listed so I shouldn't have any problems using Tatts directly - so thank you again for letting me know about Tatts.
(Interesting that the United States is NOT listed. Seems strange they would omit the United States, because the list of countries is quite long. Maybe I'm missing something. Doesn't affect me though.)
Sooz

gvv1965
Regular
Regular

Post by gvv1965 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:19 am

Hello all
I have also subscribed to the tatts site. Let's see if we can work together on the Australian lotteries. Italian ones are impossible :)

ohlookitsadam

Post by ohlookitsadam » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:34 am

Are buying the tickets online the same as buying tickets from a newsagent? Or is online lotto completely separate from the lottery draws you see on TV?

draughtsman
Site Admin

Post by draughtsman » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:58 pm

Buying a ticket in an Australian lottery through a Newsagent* is no different to buying a ticket on line at the lottery website. Both charge the same commission. Buying on line through the lottery commission will require you to set up an account in which you will need to deposit some funds - enough to buy a ticket and should you get any winnings that is where they will be deposited. That's the way I do it. The lottery commission may also have a buy a ticket via a credit card purchase as well but I am not aware of it.

good luck

draughtsman

*A Newsagent is a generic term used in Australia for where you buy such things as news papers magazines lottery tickets greeting cards and anything else they can flog.