Number of blocks in matrix wheels

Talk about anything Wheel Generator related which doesn't fit in the other forums
rob48

Number of blocks in matrix wheels

Post by rob48 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:29 am

When constructing a matrix wheel do I have to tell WG how many blocks to use or can it calculate the least number of blocks required to produce the required covering? e.g I want to create a wheel for my 5/39 lottery from 5 groups of 4 numbers with a guarantee of 4 from 5 numbers correct. Do I have to know and input the minimum number of blocks required or can WG automatically produce the minimum number of blocks required to fulfill the parameters? If I have to know the minimum number of blocks in advance how can I calculate this?

rob48

Re: Number of blocks in matrix wheels

Post by rob48 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:17 am

LA: sorry I should have posted this in the WG section.

lottoarchitect
Site Admin

Post by lottoarchitect » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:50 am

Hi rob48, there is a way to approximately evaluate the blocks needed using WG itself. Simply set your parameters and enable the "auto-reduce blocks" checkbox and try an optimization with an artificially high blocks size i.e. set it to 100 or 200 blocks. WG automatically will start removing blocks as needed whilst maintaining the 100% coverage (the covering is a filtered one in that case since you'll have your number groups set in guide mode to do an abbreviated matrix, since you ask for 4if5). When no further removal of blocks occurs, deactivate "auto-remove" and reduce further the blocks manually i.e. if auto-reduce manage to bring it down to 30 blocks, then reduce it manually to 25 and keep optimizing the covering and gradually introduce blocks as needed (but surely you'll end up with fewer than 30 blocks for a close cover 100%). Even if you let auto-reduce on all the time, eventually WG will also make an equivalent covering but the process I propose (stop auto-reduce, reduce blocks manually and add gradually blocks as needed) will make the close-cover much quicker. Also don't forget to enable "filtered over overall coverage".
I've moved this to WG subforum.

rob48

Post by rob48 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:23 pm

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, I'll give it a go. I have just recently subscribed to both GAT and WG and I am really impressed with them both, well done LA!